Business and Technical Analyst
Reporting to: Business and Technical Analysis Manager
Team: Technology and Change Services
Contract type: Fixed-term until 31 December 2018
Salary: £49,995 per annum
Closing date: 24 April 2018
The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is responsible for protecting workplace pensions in the UK, working with employers and those running pensions to help people save safely for their retirement. We have an excellent office location in the heart of Brighton and have a diverse, lively and professional growing workforce.
We are committed to making TPR a great place to work and doing all we can to support our people to reach their full potential. Join our expanding team for the chance to be a part of the biggest change to pensions in a generation.
We’re looking for a Business and Technical Analyst to capture and model business and data requirements. You will be responsible for ensuring that the requirements and models are effectively applied in development projects and business processes. This is so that innovative technology solutions can be designed and developed to underpin our business processes in the pensions regulatory arena.
You will also be required to guide users in accepting change brought about through business change initiatives and projects, ensuring high levels of business engagement.
- Elicit requirements from stakeholders and compile high level and detailed actionable requirements that are solution agnostic. Ensuring that these requirements are within scope, complete, consistent, concise, comprehensible, traceable, feasible, unambiguous, and verifiable.
- Thoroughly discuss / challenge business on their problem/s prior to agreeing and prioritising the requirements.
- Thoroughly compile requirements using various tools and techniques such as wire frame, use cases, user stories, data models, BPMN, Venn diagrams, mind maps, user journeys.
- Capture and model business and data requirements, definitions, business rules, and logical and physical data models.
- Ensure that the models are effectively applied in development projects and business processes.
- Mapping between logical and physical views of data; and between physical data model.
- Developing and maintaining key artifacts.
- Produce functional specification and solution design documentation.
- Ensure specification and requirements are understood by the Test Team.
- Ensure key requirements are met by the solution through quality assurance during test phase.
- Manage ongoing change requests to business scope / requirements.
- Co-ordinate enhancements / changes to existing systems / processes, including analysis, design, documentation, testing, end-user training and implementation.
- Carryout root cause and gap analysis where required.
- Continually assess impact of other transformation and change projects within the enterprise.
- Provide input into the test strategy.
- Track and manage customer product process organisation, location, data, applications, technology risk, assumptions, issue, dependency.
- On an ongoing basis maintain alignment of requirements to vision, strategic goals, project initiation document (PID) and the impact of any business change on the project.
- Design lean value-driven business processes, eg understanding value and waste concepts.
- Apply costing techniques to proposed solution options and assess them for both technical and business suitability.
- Reuse prior work where appropriate and collaborate with colleagues to produce deliverables as needed.
- Work closely with a variety of programme team members, stakeholders and end users to ensure solution or proposed solution will deliver upon TPR’s vision and business satisfaction.
- Proactively contribute to scoping of sprints, frequently asked questions (FAQ) and Training Needs Analysis (TNA).
- Ensure business analysis (BA) methodology, project governance, controls and solution development lifecycle controls are adhered to.
Essential and desirable criteria
- Strong background in the analysis of business systems and the definition of systems (computerised or otherwise).
- Business process mapping and modelling techniques.
- Experience across a range of business change and IT projects including data related projects, eg data warehouse.
- Knowledge of management concepts and how enterprise package solutions are positioned and developed.
- Data modelling methodologies and techniques, eg physical information and data flows.
- Modelling skills and some knowledge of Birst and Wherescape.
- Strong practical background in lean process design and techniques.
Knowledge of technology / qualifications
- Experienced user of BA and business data analysis tools.
- BCS Diploma in Business Analysis (or equivalent) (desirable).
- Market awareness of technology sectors such as: big data, enterprise CRM, digital, mobility, customer centric service models, UCaaS, Cloud services (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS), learning management systems (LMS) and document management.
- Working awareness of standards such as ITIL and data security.
- Practical working knowledge of one or more of: six sigma, lean, agile, Kanban, PRINCE2.
- Ability to prioritise and use initiative.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Communication skills at all levels.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Personable and a team player.
Salary and benefits
As well as a salary of up to £49,995, we offer:
- Civil Service Pension arrangements, which are recognised as some of the best in the pensions world
- discretionary bonus arrangements
- 25 days' annual leave provision
- flexible working arrangements
- development opportunities
- enhanced parental leave arrangements
- a free employee assistance programme
- an excellent office location.
How to apply
We provide an exciting, supportive and flexible working environment, and are committed to helping our people meet their full potential.
TPR is an inclusive employer and offers equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Applications will be considered on a part time and job share basis.
Please send your CV and a covering letter, with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria to email@example.com.
If you have any enquiries with regards to this role or if you have a disability and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.