Director of Enforcement
Reporting to: Executive Director of Frontline Regulation
Team: Frontline Regulation
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: £120,000 per annum
Closing date: 25 July 2018
The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is responsible for protecting workplace pensions in the UK, working with employers and those running pensions to help people save safely for their retirement. We have an excellent office location in the heart of Brighton and have a diverse, lively and professional growing workforce.
We are committed to making TPR a great place to work and doing all we can to support our people to reach their full potential. Join our expanding team for the chance to be a part of the biggest change to pensions in a generation.
We’re looking for someone to lead an effective and flexible Enforcement function that investigates and delivers appropriate enforcement action(s) where breaches have been identified, taking personal ownership of the highest profile and most complex cases as appropriate. The successful applicant will be expected to provide effective leadership, demonstrating TPR’s values and behaviours and supporting the delivery of TPR’s statutory objectives.
- Deliver robust, high quality enforcement work for TPR including investigations, issue of proceedings and settlement negotiations either directly, or via delegation to others.
- Taking strategic decisions on high profile / particularly contentious / novel / complex casework, representing Enforcement at the Strategy Gateway ensuring decisions made are suitable and achievable within the directorate.
- Review progress regarding achievement of the agreed regulatory approach (including outcomes) on a quarterly basis, refining the enforcement strategy, re-focusing activity if required and re-shaping the team sizes / structures as necessary.
- Lead on high profile cases and represent the TPR externally, with trustees, organisations, the Government, enforcement agencies and other interested parties (eg PPF).
- Provide high quality briefings and advice on enforcement work to others, for example those to whom decisions are escalated, the Board, Parliament or other stakeholders, as necessary.
- Deputise for the Executive Director of Frontline Regulation as required.
Essential and desirable criteria
- Evidence of successful experience as a decision maker in a regulatory environment over a significant period.
- Extensive experience in commercial or regulatory law and knowledge of public law principles.
- Experience of using diagnostic regulatory tools, risk mitigation strategies and techniques.
- Senior stakeholder management experience in high pressure and challenging environments.
- Evidenced experience of leading and manage change across multiple teams.
- Negotiating skills.
- Calm under pressure.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Communication skills at all levels (written and oral).
- Leadership skills.
Salary and benefits
As well as a salary of £120,000, we offer:
- Civil Service Pension arrangements, which are recognised as some of the best in the pensions world
- discretionary bonus arrangements
- 25 days' annual leave provision
- flexible working arrangements
- development opportunities
- enhanced parental leave arrangements
- a free employee assistance programme
- an excellent office location
How to apply
We provide an exciting, supportive and flexible working environment, and are committed to helping our people meet their full potential.
TPR is an inclusive employer and offers equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Applications will be considered on a part time and job share basis.
Please send your CV and a covering letter, with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria to email@example.com.
If you have any enquiries with regards to this role or if you have a disability and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.