Senior Case Managers (Oversight)
Reporting to: Case Management Team Leaders
Team: Case Management
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: £51,132 per annum
Closing date: 30 September 2018
The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is responsible for protecting workplace pensions in the UK, working with employers and those running pensions to help people save safely for their retirement. We have an excellent office location in the heart of Brighton and have a diverse, lively and professional growing workforce.
We are committed to making TPR a great place to work and doing all we can to support our people to reach their full potential. Join our expanding team for the chance to be a part of the biggest change to pensions in a generation.
We’re looking for people to deliver professional and effective regulatory oversight of some of our largest and highest impact defined benefit (DB), defined contribution (DC) and public service (PS) schemes. This is a key part of our new approach to the regulation of workplace pensions. This work is being developed as part of a major programme to support a new approach to the regulation of workplace pensions which will result in changes to how we do things. We are therefore looking for people who are flexible in their approach and can adapt to a changing environment as we build our capability to be quicker, clearer and tougher.
You will plan and deliver proactive regulatory oversight strategies aimed at understanding and mitigating the risk faced by members of the largest schemes. You will do so by building and maintaining strong, ongoing working relationships with key stakeholders within schemes and other entities, including employers and providers.
Working with colleagues in communications and technical specialists, you will set clear expectations for your portfolio of schemes and other entities. Your focus will be on building consensus to achieving good member outcomes, using your proven influencing and negotiation skills to meet our strategic and statutory objectives. But you will be alive to the need for enforcement action and not hesitate to initiate it, where necessary and appropriate.
- Develop and implement oversight strategies for large and high profile DB, DC and PS schemes.
- Build and maintain strong, ongoing working relationships with key stakeholders within schemes and other entities, including employers and pension providers and professional advisers.
- Collect and assimilate complex information and undertake analysis to understand how schemes and relevant connected entities operate and the risks they pose.
- Set clear expectations for schemes based on our strategic and statutory objectives.
- Use your established influencing and negotiation skills to change behaviours and gain commitment to good regulatory outcomes.
- Take account of the impact across all schemes and sectors in setting and delivering oversight strategies.
- Escalate material issues, including proposing achievable outcome-focused solutions, to senior managers and decision makers.
- Anticipate the potential for enforcement action and liaise early with colleagues to consider the appropriateness and impact of such action.
Essential and desirable criteria
- Proven track record of achieving positive outcomes by successfully influencing and negotiating at a senior level on complex issues.
- Knowledge of investments, pensions governance and administration, a variety of corporate and other business models and financing arrangements.
- Proven commercial awareness including a working knowledge of company accounts.
- Experience of working in a financial / banking / regulatory / legal / environment.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to assimilate and assess advice and data-heavy bodies of evidence, exercising evidence-based judgement linked to your risk analysis and the mitigation tools / powers available to you.
- Experience of prioritising the demands of a varied and complex portfolio.
- Degree level education, or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experience of working with any one of the following:
- DB pension schemes (including scheme funding)
- DC pension schemes
- PS pension schemes
- Relevant professional qualification (eg pensions, legal, accounting or actuarial qualifications).
- Exposure to technical issues relating to pension scheme legislation.
- An understanding of the responsibilities of trustees.
- Confident and effective communicator at all levels.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships.
- Effective negotiator.
- Leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritise and use initiative.
- Ability to deliver at pace showing drive and determination.
- Competence and confidence in decision making in line with delegated responsibility.
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams to deliver objectives.
Salary and benefits
As well as a salary of up to £51,132 we offer:
- Civil Service Pension arrangements, which are recognised as some of the best in the pensions world
- discretionary bonus arrangements
- 25 days' annual leave provision
- flexible working arrangements
- development opportunities
- enhanced parental leave arrangements
- a free employee assistance programme
- an excellent office location
How to apply
We provide an exciting, supportive and flexible working environment, and are committed to helping our people meet their full potential.
TPR is an inclusive employer and offers equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Applications will be considered on a part time and job share basis.
Please send your CV and a covering letter, with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria to email@example.com.
If you have any enquiries with regards to this role or if you have a disability and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.