Senior Project Manager
Reporting to: Project and Testing Manager
Team: Solutions Delivery
Contract type: Permanent
Salary: £70,700 per annum
Closing date: 20 March 2018
The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is responsible for protecting workplace pensions in the UK, working with employers and those running pensions to help people save safely for their retirement. We have an excellent office location in the heart of Brighton and have a diverse, lively and professional growing workforce.
We are committed to making TPR a great place to work and doing all we can to support our people to reach their full potential. Join our expanding team for the chance to be a part of the biggest change to pensions in a generation.
We are looking for a Senior Project Manager to be accountable for the effective scoping, design and implementation of business projects to time, cost and quality targets. This will include the delivery of large, complex projects, from feasibility through to implementation, involving senior stakeholders, multi-million pound budgets and external third parties.
You will also be responsible for building, leading and managing the Project Team consisting of internal and external resources.
- Delivery of all phases of the project to time, cost and quality targets to achieve the agreed goals of the project.
- Own the day-to-day relationship and communication with the customer and key stakeholders.
- Work closely with key stakeholders to shape the project in line with target benefits, the business and IT strategies.
- Own the creation of the business case, including the project definition, the approach, resource requirements, costs, initial plan and initial risk analysis.
- Build, manage and motivate a project team with an organisational structure that ensures clarity of role, management accountability, succession planning and staffing levels to drive successful delivery whilst remaining cost effective.
- Define, set up and run the required steering / governance structure around the project and its constituent parts to ensure the appropriate controls, guidance and issue resolution required to support successful delivery.
- Monitor the project in accordance with the organisational delivery framework and governance processes.
- Construct and manage project budgets, as well as, the ongoing monitoring and reporting of actual expenditure against the budget baseline.
- Manage third party suppliers and external services providers delivering products and services to the project within the contractual framework.
- Manage risks, issues, dependencies and interfaces of the project and proactively take corrective actions as required.
- Deliver regular and accurate reporting information in line with organisational standards. This will include budget, risks, issues, resource allocation and progress against key milestones.
- Ensure the project is delivered on time, to budget and with the agreed deliverables.
- Work with business and IT stakeholders to ensure that the benefits targeted in the business case are realised.
- Provide an escalation route for project risks and issues, and ensure early identification, communication and corrective action.
- Ensure the smooth implementation of all project deliverables.
- Identify resource and skill sets required to achieve the project goals and work with the Business Project Sponsor and Resource Managers to ensure the allocation and engagement of those resources.
- Ensure appropriate communication and knowledge transfer to all resources assigned to the project in order to improve decision making which align with project objectives, and IT and business strategies.
- Manage, develop and support the resources assigned to the project to improve their personal performance through involvement in, and experience of, the project.
Essential and desirable criteria
- Extensive project management experience in a similar role.
- Delivered a number of high impact and complex business change projects that have successfully implemented new business capability(s) to meet regulatory requirements.
- Delivered a number of high impact and complex projects where the external spend was in excess of £3 million.
- Expert knowledge of techniques for planning, monitoring and controlling projects.
- Extensive and proven experience of building effective working relationships with senior business stakeholders (including third parties such as other government bodies and suppliers).
- Extensive knowledge and experience of project and project delivery lifecycles and methodologies.
- Significant demonstrable success in project / project management using leading methodologies and processes within a medium to large organisation.
- Strong enterprise wide level business change experience.
- Thorough grasp of the full range of business and technology issues encountered within project delivery and demonstrable experience of driving resolution.
- Active management of third party suppliers.
- Ability to prioritise and use initiative.
- Calm under pressure.
- Communication skills at all levels.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Leadership skills.
Salary and benefits
As well as a salary of up to £70,700 per annum, we offer:
- Civil Service Pension arrangements, which are recognised as some of the best in the pensions world
- discretionary bonus arrangements
- 25 days' annual leave provision
- flexible working arrangements
- development opportunities
- enhanced parental leave arrangements
- a free employee assistance programme
- an excellent office location
How to apply
We provide an exciting, supportive and flexible working environment, and are committed to helping our people meet their full potential.
TPR is an inclusive employer and offers equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Applications will be considered on a part time and job share basis.
Please send your CV and a covering letter, with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any enquiries with regards to this role or if you have a disability and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please email email@example.com.