The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is responsible for protecting workplace pensions in the UK, working with employers and those running pensions to help people save safely for their retirement. We have an excellent office location in the heart of Brighton and have a diverse, lively and professional growing workforce.
We are committed to making TPR a great place to work and doing all we can to support our people to reach their full potential. Join our expanding team for the chance to be a part of the biggest change to pensions in a generation.
Our apprenticeship programme provides you with an alternative route into TPR. You’ll have the opportunity to work towards a recognised professional qualification to further expand your skills and experience as you develop through your apprenticeship. You will be given time and support to complete the Data Scientist Level 6 apprenticeship while gaining practical work experience working in a busy team. You’ll develop transferable skills and receive on-the-job coaching, mentoring and support to help you reach your potential.
We’re looking for an Apprentice Data Scientist to take on basic data science and visualisation of TPR's data to enable business units to make data-driven decisions based on robust evidence bases.
The role involves engaging with stakeholders to understand requirements, create data products and produce outputs that may range from simple data sets to complex visualisations. You will help the business understand and act on their data. You will also independently deliver simple solutions and will contribute knowledge and understanding to more complex solutions.
- produce simple and complex visualisations to help business units understand and make decisions based on data
- engage with a range of stakeholders to understand and document their issues and requirements
- translate business needs into data products
- co-ordinate and manage small projects and contribute to elements of larger ones including analysis, machine learning, predictive analytics
You will be provided with appropriate training and support.
- Two A-Levels or similar qualification in maths, physics, ICT or a relevant subject - Grade A to C.
- A natural curiosity and a desire to learn.
- Experience of applying scientific methods and experimentation.
- Ability to code, test, correct and document simple programmes or scripts under the direction of data scientists, applying core techniques for analysis and insight.
- Effective communication skills to convey data science products, including data, analysis and visualisations effectively, using media tailored to the audience.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Communication skills at all levels.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to prioritise and use initiative.
- Personable and a team player.
Salary and benefits
As well as a starting salary of £21,592, we offer:
- Civil Service Pension arrangements, which are recognised as some of the best in the pensions world
- discretionary bonus arrangements
- 25 days annual leave provision
- flexible working arrangements
- development opportunities
- enhanced parental leave arrangements
- a free employee assistance programme
- an excellent office location in Brighton
How to apply
We provide an exciting, supportive and flexible working environment, and are committed to helping our people meet their full potential.
The Pensions Regulator is an inclusive employer and offers equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. TPR welcomes applications from the black, Asian, and minority ethnic (BAME) and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) communities who are currently under represented at TPR.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Please send your CV and a covering letter, with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria to email@example.com.
If you have any enquiries with regards to this role or if you have a disability and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.