Job ref: 1650
TPR grade: 7 - Lead Specialist
The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is responsible for protecting workplace pensions in the UK, working with employers and those running pensions to help people save safely for their retirement. We have an excellent office location in the heart of Brighton and have a diverse, lively and professional growing workforce.
We are committed to making TPR a great place to work and doing all we can to support our people to reach their full potential. Join our expanding team for the chance to be a part of the biggest change to pensions in a generation.
The Cloud Technical Engineer provides hands-on technical support for assessing, architecting and supporting the IAAS platform in an Microsoft Azure tenant along with other hosted infrastructure platforms.
The primary focus of the role is to operate as an Azure Cloud Engineer by taking ownership of all Cloud specific support activities and providing third line support to the infrastructure, development and management teams. The successful candidates will be a determined and self-motivated individual who can work under pressure amongst other technically minded colleagues.
- Develop and produce MS Azure based architectural documentation, including providing best practice design recommendations for migration of applications from on-premise to the Azure Cloud.
- Design a highly available and scalable cloud infrastructure tuned to project and business requirements. Designs should focus on secure configuration, utilising single sign on and multi-factor authentication with adherence to the NCSC and ISO27001 standards.
- Install, configure, automate, and monitor various cloud services, Infrastructure as a Service and Platform (IaaS, PaaS).
- Set up and troubleshoot Azure builds, including but not limited to ARM, ASR, SQL, Containers and Azure AD.
- Configure application-aware infrastructure to automatically handle application requirements, security, and disaster-preparedness functions such as back-ups and data recovery.
- Perform operational engineering for activities which include platform upgrades, server patching, monitoring, configuration, and troubleshooting.
Essential and desirable criteria
- Evidence of configuring and managing solutions in multi-tenant enterprise environments.
- Experience with Windows Server management with Microsoft Azure (2012 r2, 2016) – Specifically with experience of:
- IaaS: Virtual Machines (VMs), Virtual Networks (vNets)
- Azure Storage technologies (Azure SQL, Data Warehouse, Blob, etc)
- Azure Networking specifically in configuring a Site-to-site connection: Virtual Networks, Virtual Network Gateways, Local Network Gateways and Connections
- Azure Security Center
- Azure Services: Virtual Machines, SQL Servers, SQL Databases
- Azure Alerts and Monitoring configuration
- Runbooks (Azure Automation)
- API integration
- Azure Resource Templates
- Good technical knowledge and experience of:
- Exchange 2010 / 2013 / 2016 with demonstrable experience in Office 365 and associated Mimecast technology
- Microsoft DevOps tooling suite
- Windows Active Directory, MS SQL HA Options and Clustering
- Microsoft Hyper-V and / or VMware
- Identity and Authentication: SSO / Federation, AD / Azure AD etc
- Experience designing, deploying, and managing backup and disaster recovery technologies.
- Experience designing and deploying containerized environments with exposure to Docker, Kubernetes or other container technologies.
- Infrastructure as Code: VMware, CloudFormation, ARM templates, Deployment Manager, or Terraform.
- Ability to prioritise and use initiative.
- Calm under pressure.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Communication skills at all levels.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
Salary and benefits
As well as a starting salary of £44,969, we offer:
- Civil Service Pension arrangements, which are recognised as some of the best in the pensions world
- discretionary bonus arrangements
- access to performance related pay progression
- 25 days annual leave provision
- flexible working arrangements
- development opportunities
- enhanced parental leave arrangements
- a free employee assistance programme
- an excellent office location in Brighton
How to apply
We provide an exciting, supportive and flexible working environment, and are committed to helping our people meet their full potential.
TPR is an inclusive employer and offers equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. TPR welcomes applications from the black, Asian, and minority ethnic (BAME) and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) communities who are currently under represented at TPR.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Applications will be considered on a part time and job share basis.
Please send your CV and a covering letter, with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria to email@example.com.
If you have any enquiries with regards to this role or if you have a disability and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.