The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is responsible for protecting workplace pensions in the UK, working with employers and those running pensions to help people save safely for their retirement. We have an excellent office location in the heart of Brighton and have a diverse, lively and professional growing workforce.
We are committed to making TPR a great place to work and doing all we can to support our people to reach their full potential. Join our expanding team for the chance to be a part of the biggest change to pensions in a generation.
We’re looking for an entry-level Data Scientist to take on basic data science and visualisation of TPR's data to enable business units to make data-driven decisions based on robust evidence bases.
- produce simple and complex visualisations to help business units understand and make decisions based on data
- engage with a range of stakeholders to understand and document their issues and requirements, creating data products and produce outputs that may range from simple data sets to complex visualisations
- translate business needs into data products
- co-ordinate and manage small projects and contribute to elements of larger ones including analysis, machine learning, predictive analytics
- independently deliver simple solutions and contribute knowledge and understanding to more complex solutions
Essential and desirable criteria
- Degree in a numerate subject or relevant experience in a similar role.
- Understand basic and intermediate statistics, using appropriate statistical methods for sampling, distribution assessment, bias and error.
- Experience of applying scientific methods through experimental design, exploratory data analysis and hypothesis testing to reach robust conclusions and a broad knowledge of how and when to practically apply best practice solutions.
- Ability to develop, code, test, correct and document simple programmes or scripts under the direction of data scientists, applying core techniques for analysis and insight.
- Can communicate data science products, including data, analysis and visualisations effectively, using media tailored to the audience.
- Experience of integrating and separating data feeds in order to map, produce, transform and test new scalable data products that meet user needs.
- Has a demonstrable understanding of how to expose data from systems (for example, through APIs) and link data from multiple systems. Understands a number of different data tools that can be used for repeatable data processing.
- Understands what data governance is required and can apply the data science ethical framework to their work.
- Ability to prioritise and use initiative.
- Problem solving and analytical skills.
- Communication skills at all levels.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Personable and a team player.
Salary and benefits
As well as a starting salary of £25,380, we offer:
- Civil Service Pension arrangements, which are recognised as some of the best in the pensions world
- discretionary bonus arrangements
- access to performance related pay progression
- 25 days annual leave provision
- flexible working arrangements
- development opportunities
- enhanced parental leave arrangements
- a free employee assistance programme
- an excellent office location in Brighton
How to apply
We provide an exciting, supportive and flexible working environment, and are committed to helping our people meet their full potential.
The Pensions Regulator is an inclusive employer and offers equal opportunities to all regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation. TPR welcomes applications from the black, Asian, and minority ethnic (BME) and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) communities who are currently under represented at TPR.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Applications will be considered on a part time and job share basis.
Please send your CV and a covering letter, with details of how your experience and skills meet our essential criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any enquiries with regards to this role or if you have a disability and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please email email@example.com.