This secondment is part of our longstanding programme, which has been in place since our inception and is part of our core case management team.
As the regulator of UK occupational pension schemes, we oversee an industry that is changing the way people engage with saving for later life. We regulate the funding of defined benefit (DB) schemes, the governance and administration of all public and private sector, trust-based occupational pensions as well as employer compliance with automatic enrolment.
The pensions landscape is changing and recent market trends have seen increasing challenges for defined benefit schemes through low interest rates which have increased deficits and the cost to employers of adequately funding schemes.
Private sector defined benefit schemes make up a sizeable part of the pensions landscape with around 12 million members and over £1 trillion of assets. Our work involves seeking to ensure that these pension schemes are adequately funded so that members’ benefits have the highest possible chance of being paid in full, that schemes are appropriately governed by competent trustees acting in members’ best interests and that those who seek to avoid their pensions obligations put things right.
We are looking for secondees to join our front line regulation to help us with our engagement, investigation and enforcement activity in relation to DB funding. As a secondee, you will need to gain a good grasp of our statutory objectives to protect member benefits, reduce calls on the Pension Protection Fund, improve understanding of the good administration of work-based pension schemes and, where appropriate, minimise the impact on the sustainable economic growth of the employer.
The role requires you to engage with those who provide and run trust based pensions schemes to ensure that they are discharging their duties effectively. Through your oversight and engagement, you will assess the levels of risk, determine the appropriate regulatory response and use the resources and tools available to you to achieve the outcome that you have identified.
Working with a range of professional internal and external advisers, you will plan and deliver strategies for appropriate regulatory interventions to achieve the best possible outcomes. These could be achieved by reaching consensus with relevant parties, but you will also not hesitate to pursue enforcement action and to exercise our wide range of powers where necessary and appropriate.
- Formulate and implement outcome focused engagement and intervention strategies across a portfolio of case.
- Form and lead case teams of advisers (accounting, restructuring, investment, actuarial and legal), making best use of the resource to deliver your strategy.
- Manage, influence and negotiate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Recognise where we need to use our regulatory powers and act quickly.
- Communicate effectively in writing and orally at all levels.
- Share your experiences with colleagues and peers to ensure we are continually learning from our experiences.
Essential and desirable skills
- Proven track record of leading complex, contentious cases (or equivalent) in a highly pressured environment.
- Strong leadership and motivational skills.
- Proven ability to identify, analyse and assess key risks and mitigation strategies.
- Strong communication skills with an ability to understand a variety of technical issues and articulate them to different audiences concisely and succinctly.
- Strong stakeholder management skills including influencing and negotiation.
- Experience in DB, pension schemes.
- Exposure to technical issues relating to pension scheme legislation.
- Project management experience.
- Driven, determined and resilient.
- Flexible and open to change.
- Delivers at pace.
- Ability to make evidence-based decisions.
- Ability to analyse and assimilate complex information.
- Ability to juggle competing priorities.
- Innovative in finding solutions.
- Confident and effective communicator / influencer / negotiator at all levels.
- Ability to build and maintain strong working relationships.
How to apply
If you're interested in undertaking a secondment with us please feel free to contact us so we discuss your skills and suitable opportunities. Depending on what you're looking for, we can create a secondment package that works for all parties involved.
If you'd like to talk to us about secondments – either as an organisation looking for opportunities to work in partnership with us or as an individual looking for a secondment opportunity – please contact us at email@example.com.