Members of public service pension schemes need to receive information to help them understand their pension arrangements and make informed decisions.
The scheme manager must communicate information about benefits and scheme administration to members and others.
You should ensure that the information you communicate is accurate, clear and accessible.
- The scheme manager must provide annual benefit statements to active members of defined benefit (DB) public service pension schemes.
- The scheme manager must communicate certain other information to scheme members when required.
- You should provide communications that are accurate, clear and accessible.
What information to communicate
Annual benefit statements
The scheme manager must provide annual benefit statements to active members of DB public service pension schemes in accordance with any directions issued by HM Treasury or the Department of Finance and Personnel in Northern Ireland. The statement must include:
- a description of the benefits earned during a member’s pensionable service
- any other information specified by HM Treasury or the Department of Finance and Personnel in Northern Ireland directions
For more information, see our guide and checklist:
The scheme manager must communicate certain information to members and others (such as prospective members, spouses or civil partners, other beneficiaries and recognised trade unions) in certain circumstances. This information includes:
- benefit statements on request
- basic scheme information and significant changes to that information
- information about the constitution of the scheme
- annual report, actuarial valuations and payment schedules
- information about lifestyling
- information about benefits in payment
Providing good quality communications
You should make sure that all communications are accurate, clear and accessible so that members can understand their pension arrangements and make informed decisions.
You should make information readily available at all times to ensure that prospective and existing members are able to access information when required.
Public service toolkit online learning
You can learn about the information that public service schemes are required to provide to members in the 'Providing information to members and others' course. You must log in or sign up to use the Public Service toolkit.
'Information to be provided to members' section of the public service code of practice.
Other sources of information include:
- Occupational and Personal Pension Schemes (Disclosure of Information) Regulations 2013
- Occupational and Personal Pension Schemes (Disclosure of Information) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2014
- HM Treasury directions on information about benefits (PDF, 34kb, 2 pages)
- Department of Finance and Personnel in Northern Ireland directions on information about benefits