Skip to main content

Your browser is out of date, and unable to use many of the features of this website

Please upgrade your browser.


This website requires cookies. Your browser currently has cookies disabled.

Pay an automatic enrolment penalty notice

If you've received a penalty notice or invoice from us there are a variety of ways to pay.

Penalty notice payment options

You'll need your penalty notice reference for both of the payment options (you can find this on the front of your notice). You must pay by the date shown on the front of your penalty notice.

1.Online payment

You can pay your penalty using our secure online payment service provided your debt hasn't been subject to court action.

If your notice reference begins with AE or C, you should follow the payment instructions on the notice as you won’t be able to pay it online.

Pay online

2. Bank transfer

To pay your penalty notice by BACS transfer please send the payment to:

  • sort code: 40-14-03
  • account number: 72526026

Please quote your Penalty Notice number as the reference number for your payment. 

Not including the Penalty Notice number may result in us not being able to allocate your payment or returning the payment as unrecognised.


  • If you've received a penalty notice you still need to complete a declaration of compliance.
  • If you've completed a declaration of compliance at the time of being issued a penalty, you need to ensure that you've paid the fine or arranged a payment plan with us.
  • If you don’t pay the penalty we will recover any unpaid fines through legal proceedings. This may include obtaining a county court judgement and instructing bailiffs.

If you're struggling to pay your penalty?

If you're struggling financially or are suffering with ill health, it may be possible for us to discuss and agree a payment plan for you to clear your debt. Please contact us at or call us on 0800 169 0325 to discuss options with our Debt Recovery Team.

Please note that we use high court enforcement officers in England and Wales to collect unpaid debt. We don't use county court bailiffs. If you're unsure about any contact you've received claiming to be acting on behalf of The Pensions Regulator, please contact us and we'll be able to confirm.

If you're struggling with debt, please contact one of the free advice services offered across the UK.

The current rise in the cost of living

The current rise in the cost of living may be impacting your staff and those who are concerned may approach you for help if they feel they can no longer afford to pay into their pension scheme. Others may seek to access cash from their pension pot to pay essential bills. This is understandable but both scenarios carry risk.  

It’s important that people maintain their pension contributions, whenever they are able to, as stopping contributions could have a serious impact on their retirement living standards in later life.

How can you help?  

You can help by encouraging your staff to seek help before making any decisions. You should refer any of your staff who are worried about money to the government-backed and impartial MoneyHelper service which can help them a find a way forward. 

Any staff seeking to transfer money from their pension also should be directed to the ScamSmart website. This will help them get to know the warning signs of a scam and check the firm that they are dealing with.